Tuesday 22 February 2011

Day 108 - 30th January 2011

My husband and I discuss how best we can achieve the same sort of look in our bathroom as we had before the leak occurred without us having to spend money that we would prefer not to spend. We note with regret that if it had been possible to save the tiles and re-use them we wouldn’t be having this problem.   He asks how come they didn’t get saved.  I tell him that they were supposed to have been saved as agreed with the surveyor when he visited on the 13th October 2010 but it just didn’t happen.  I tell him that I suspect that Safeguard weren’t told to save them and so when they turned up, they just smashed them off the walls.  Certainly when they started the stripping out process no one came down to tell me they had tried to get the tiles off carefully but couldn’t.  You would think that if they had been told to take them off carefully for re-use they would have come to consult with me in the event of not being able to do so.  I tell my husband that I queried with both Safeguard and Aviva about the tiles not having been saved but that the Contractors had claimed not to know anything about it and Aviva had said it hadn’t been possible.  One of them is obviously not telling the truth. Out of interest we get a hammer and a chisel and see how easy it is to get the tiles off the wall.  We have no building experience whatsoever, yet it is unbelievably easy to remove them and within a matter of minutes we have got three tiles off the wall without breaking them. We leave them in a bucket of water over night and the following day we are able to easily chip the grouting off them so that they are as good as new.  

No comments:

Post a Comment