Tuesday 22 February 2011

Day 98 - 19th January 2011

I email Nadine to ask if Asprea will have no further involvement in processing my claim now and asking whether it will all be done by Mark at Aviva.  I ask whether it will be Mark’s responsibility to make all decisions on the claim from now on and whether it will be Mark that I deal with to move matters forward. I point out that if so, it might perhaps have been a good idea to let him know that there is still the issue outstanding of reviewing the cost per square metre allowance for the tiling so that he could deal with it as its now over a month since she told me she was dealing with it and it would appear that nothing has been done. I ask her if Mark is not the one to oversee the claim moving forward, could she please tell me who it will be as no-one seems to be taking ownership of it at all. In addition, I ask her to please clarify what the cover is that she referred to in our discussion before Christmas.  I remember her saying that I needed this cover if the undamaged tiling was to be replaced under the policy.  I also ask her to advise me how and who she checked this with as from reading my policy it sounds like there might have been some sort of mistake.

I receive a reply from Nadine.  She doesn’t offer an apology for not bothering to reply to my queries on the 15th December. She tells me that Mark is only dealing with the complaint.  She says that my personal claims handler at Asprea will ensure that my claim moves forward as it should.  Nadine tells me that she will request that I am kept informed during the claim process.

Nadine also tells me that she has amended the cost of the wall tiling within the scope to £54 per sqm plus VAT as she feels that this is justified after receipt of the invoice. She tells me that she has also added a new room into the scope for renewing the wall tiles to the unaffected walls (including removing and refitting the bath, basin, WC and heated towel rail) with me contributing 50% towards these costs. She tells me that my contribution, provided no unforeseen works occur when the works take place, would be £651.36 plus VAT.

Nadine finishes by telling me that she did confirm with Barclays the cover provided under my policy. She is sorry but she does not have the individual’s name. Any questions regarding the cover provided under my policy would need to be discussed with my insurer - Barclays. She tells me my policy schedule and policy booklet will provide me with all the information relating to cover provided in my policy.

I email Nadine to thank her for her reply. I ask whether the allowance of £54 + VAT per sqm for the tiles, needs to include the cost of fitting the tiles as well as supplying them. I tell her that this is a crucial point as it affects the price of the tiles I can choose.  It is paramount that I have a clear understanding of the actual cost of the tiles.  I do not want to choose something that is out side of my price range.
                       
I also ask her if she can also clarify what she means by my contribution including 50% of the cost of removing and refitting the bath, basin, WC and heated towel rail.  I explain that the surveyor agreed that I would not have to pay any of this cost.  The fact that the entire floor area has to be replaced means that everything has to be taken out in order for this to be done.  This means that putting it all back is covered by the policy and I should not be liable for any contribution towards it. I have checked the schedule of works and it clearly allows for the removing and refitting of the bathroom suite. I ask her to please check this and confirm.  My understanding is that as things stand I will have no cost to contribute other than 50% of the cost of buying and fitting tiling that is not covered under the policy.
           
I tell Nadine that the reason I have asked who she checked with at Barclays regarding the level of cover I have is because I have now had chance to check out the wording that Mark provided in his letter dated the 10th January that he says excludes replacement of the undamaged tiles under the policy.  I have cross checked his wording to the wording in my policy document. The wording under the significant or unusual exclusions or limitations section of my policy states as an exclusion: "the cost of replacing any undamaged items, which form part of a set, collection, suite or item of a uniform nature.  But wider cover is available under Home and Garden" 

I tell her that I have checked the Home and Garden cover section of the policy and it states " we will pay for the cost of any undamaged items of contents forming part of a pair, suite or other item of a uniform nature or design, when:
·   insured damage happens to a specific part or within a clearly identifiable area;
·   replacements cannot be matched and;
·   repair cannot be carried out satisfactorily"
I tell her that I have checked my policy schedule and it states very clearly that I have Home & Garden cover.

As I still have not received a reply from Mark at the Complaints section of Aviva regarding my letter dated the 13th January 2011, I email the general Aviva Contact Us address on their website and ask them who I should contact to make a complaint about a member of staff in the Chief Executives Office that deal with complaints.  It’s over a week since I emailed Mark and he hasn’t even bothered to let me know he is looking into things.

No comments:

Post a Comment